Saturday, December 27, 2008

Music- Part 2

Alrighty....this is very over due. Sorry about that.

This post on music is a response to the comments on my last one as well as building on what I said in the last post.

First, I want to try and stay away from anything that seems legalistic or self-righteous....because that is not what I want this to be like. I merely want to cause people to think.

All clear? Moving on.

I don't want what I said in the first post about 'not calling Him by name' to be confused with clearly singing to Him, but maybe not saying God, Jesus, Lord, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as it's for the right motivations.

Right now, I could post lyrics to a song that I believe is a good example of not necessarily saying His name, but clearly singing to Him. However, I'm going to refrain, because I have a feeling that this does not need to be explained any further.

Secondly, I think that the artist's heart and motivations play a big part in their music. If their goal is to make money, they will sing what will be the most 'popular'. If they want to worship God, they will sing to Him and not disguise or be ashamed of it.

If they want to share the gospel, they are not going to spread the 'Good News' by playing what is most 'popular'.... Yes, more people will listen to their music if they play what pleases the world, but if the gospel is not evident in the music, then how in the world will they reach the lost? If I am singing 'positive' or music that is not 'bad', it won't do much for the unbelievers unless I am proclaiming Jesus clearly in the music. Does that make sense to anyone?

Matthew 5:10-16(NASV):
10"Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12"Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. 13"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. 14"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Wow does this very say a lot or what!?! It covers a few important points.
First, God blesses us when we stand up for Him and do not compromise even if people hate us and are mean to us because of it.
Second, we are the salt and light in this earth. He wants us to preserve our 'saltiness' and let our light shine brightly so everyone can see it. All this so that it glorifies Jesus Christ.

Also, for another thing to consider, read 1 Corinthians 5:9-13. Galatians 5:16-25 is also interesting......

So, all this said, I think my point is clear about Christian music. I would really like other people's thoughts on this now :)

Moving on to non-Christian music.

Clearly, if a band is not Christian, they can't be a 'shining light'. They don't have God's influence in their music. Does this make their music bad? I don't think so. But it also does not mean that anything is ok for us.

There are three categories I'm going to make for music(Christian or non).
Moral
not good or bad('fluff')
Immoral

'Moral' as defined in the dictionary: "expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior". Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

'Fluff' basically means that it's of no significance, and doesn't have a lot of meaning. While this music isn't bad, it's somewhat of a 'waste'. However, if it has no meaning and no significance and it's not really 'uplifting', how much of this should we be stuffing in our mind?

'Immoral' means: Not conforming to a high moral standard; morally unacceptable. Not guided by or showing a concern for what is right. If something is immoral, it will not please God. Period. 1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

So....that's all I have to say for now. Thoughts?

7 comments:

Matt said...

does music without words count as Fluff?

Emily said...

Well, what do you think? I'm not the like ultimate judge here :) But I would say that(IMO), instrumentals wouldn't be as worthless as songs with meaningless lyrics. however, I adore instrumentals, so I could be a little biased. :)

idk though, I guess compared to uplifting, Christian lyrics, they are both just 'filler'.

Matt said...

well, okay. see, strange as it may seem, i believe that some people (like myself) can relate to instrumentals, just like someone else might be able to relate to a song with words that apply to a particular something or other going on in their life sometime. so i think that instrumentals are not worthless. they have plenty of value. you might say that there's nothing wrong with them but there's not necessarily anything right about them either. Well, some people can take comfort from certain wordless music. so i would say that, in a way, they /can/ be right or wrong.
so yes, in my opinion, wordless music is not 'fluff'.

Emily said...

yes, however, you should be comforted by Jesus, not an instrument. And, yes, I know what you mean, in the end, no matter what, I think you'd be better off listening to words that are glorifying Jesus.

Emily said...

clarifying, though, instrumentals are good and fine...just not as good as something in the 'moral' category. I think as long as there is balance, then it's fine.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I found your blog in the web of coincidence. I really like it and I promise you leave my comment regulary.
I agree with you in most of all things that you say, but I think different about this: "Clearly, if a band is not Christian, they can't be a 'shining light'. They don't have God's influence in their music."
why a not christian band will be less bright than a christian band?
ok, i don't disagree whit christian music but i can appoint you very big "not christians" singers and bands that are knows in everyplace of world and never going to happen in fashion.
if you belive or don't belive in God not necessarily this determine the quality of your talent. basically the important thing for God ain't if we belive, the important thing are our acts and thoughts, or at least it is what i think.
Sorry for my too bad english i'm from Argentina.
i like your way of think, i leave my e-mail if you want to talk: morenomariale@hotmail.com
greetings from the southamerica.
good day for you!

Emily said...

Hi Mariale,

I'm glad you like my blog. And thank you for sharing your opinion.

I think you misinterpreted my point, however. When I said that non-Christian singers can not be a 'shining light', I meant that they can not be an example of Christ, they can can't share the gospel through their music, because they don't have Jesus in them. I was not addressing their talent. Music is a huge part of my life and I most definitely agree that there are some amazingly talented non-Christian artists out there.

However, I'll have to disagree with you on one point. God most definietly cares if we believe. It is not about 'how good we are' In the Bible it says that we are saved by grace, not by works and it is a gift if God.

Ephesians 2:1-10

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I hope this helps a little. Please let me know what you think and if you have any other questions!